Monday, November 3, 2008

Guess Who Came To Dinner (er...Breakfast)?

My mom told me this morning that while my brother and I was still asleep, our dad had noticed something strange going on, on the front porch step.


He had gone to look out the door window to see if there was any frost on the car.



Instead he found this dude eating out of Dicey's food bowl.





Yeeeeeeek! A giant rat! Big, smelly, hairless-tailed giant rat!


(Hehe.....just kidding)


Actually, that wasn't the picture of the opossum my folks saw. They were probably too busy wondering how to get rid of that........thing.



It was chomping away, happy as you please, at Dicey's food. And heaven knows what the poor cat must have been thinking as she watched this....thing eating her morning breakfast. It must have gone something like this:

Dicey: Oh my goodness! It's a giant cat with a naked tail! What's it doing eating my food? A giant, ugly, rat-tailed cat is eating my food!!!!! Help me, Rhonda!!!!!!!


Poor kitty.



I making a big fuss over this because we have never, ever, ever seen an opossum in our neighborhood, let alone on our front step, let alone eating cat food. This is a suburban girl you're talking to, whose closest contact with wild animals has been watching deer eat her grandma's ivy. (And squirrels with giant nuts in their mouths, but I digress.....)


So my folks are watching this possum eating the cat's food (the cat is watching safe in her little cat palace), and they're wondering what to do with it. They decide the best thing to do is to do what any good person would do......scare it silly!

So Mom rattles on the door handle, and quick as you please, they heard Mr. Possum scurry off into the dark.




Then they throw away the food and water bowls in case Mr. Possum had a lovely case of rabies. (My dad's coworker didn't think the possum had rabies though, if he ran away).





Dicey, of course, is not happy. When my dad opened the door again, she was leaning against the storm door with her paws splayed out in supplication for food.


Now we'll have to bring the new bowls in every night so Mr. Possum and any of his friends won't come back for more. They have just got to learn that there is no such thing as a free lunch.....er......breakfast.




So, that's the biggest story I've got for today........in a little town where nothing much goes on.




I need to get out more.










Soli Deo Gloria




No comments: