Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Curious Case of the Rabbit in the Yard

Paul saw it first this morning. A fluffy, brown rabbit with a little white cotton tail. The adorable kind you see hopping about in your yard. It lay on the ground in a heap.

And it wasn't moving.

That's right, we found a dead rabbit in our front yard.

Blech.

Nobody knows how the "murder" occurred, or who did it, but I have a strong feeling that Dicey, the stray cat that comes around to our house, had something to do with it.

Why do I think that?

Because Dicey sat on the trashbag that Paul covered the body with; when we got home, the bag had blown off (or taken off?), and Dicey was coming from our neighbor's house, licking her chops. And as I was writing this post, she was in the yard having a wee little snack.

Ugh. Disgusting.

Anywho, this morning, Mom and I joked about the rabbit being named Peter, so after Paul taped a clean white trashbag over it, I taped a note on it witht this writing:

Here Lies
Peter Rabbit
Mauled By Dicey the Cat

A bit of wry humor there.

We don't really know if Dicey was the culprit. We don't have any foxes (although we do have fields outside of the neighborhood). Then again, I never knew we had opossums either. No owls, as far as I have seen, so it's quite a mystery. I guess you could call it, "Who Killed Roger Rabbit?" LOL

*Sigh*

You know you live in the suburbs when you get all excited over a dead rabbit in your yard. Especially when you think your neighbor's cat did it.



I really need to get out more.


Frickasee bunny, anyone?



No comments: