Monday, October 1, 2007

Cheese Puffs and Politics

Hi everyone,


Now you might think that the title above is a peculiar title, but it has meaning to me! First off, the cheese puffs. When I was younger, I couldn't eat cheese puffs because it made me sick (either it was the cheese powder or I was a little piggy!). Lately, I've discovered that either my stomach's aversion to this delicious treat has disappeared, or I have grown up and learned to chew my food! Yesterday, I gloried in this new-found discovery by eating almost an entire bag of Herr's Cheese-Puffs, and man, were they good! Here's a picture of them!


Now then - the second part of the title. Politics. On Sunday, I heard a sermon by Josh Harris on a section in 1 Corinthians - the "Love Chapter". Josh told us that we were to be kind to everyone, including those we don't like very much. Now I am a staunch Conservative (I'm not even old enough to vote yet!) and believe me, the thought of a particular politician flew to my mind, but I will not tell who he/she is. I realized that I needed to be kind to those who are my political "enemies".


I think that George Washington said it best in his Farewell Address, when he warned for political parties to not be bloodthirsty enemies. How did we respond to that? We did the exact opposite, and we're still reaping the bitter consequences. If only we could all be more loving towards each other, regardless if we're a Conservative or Liberal!


I suggest that whenever we hear that something goes wrong in the political world, we should not seethe against the perpetrator in anger, but pray for them in love. God listens to our prayers, and He is greatly pleased when we love our enemies. It can be hard (I am no exception to the rules; belive me, my blood can boil when it comes to politics), but we can ask God for help and try to be shining examples.



But that doesn't mean that we stay silent. We should not only pray for those on the other side of the political spectrum, but also set out to be an example for them. We should also try to "fight back peacefully". This means that while we should fight to keep the morals in America, we should not frown at a person protesting the Iraq War.



Liberals, I'm not excluding you either. Even though Conservatives might not agree with what you have to say, be kind to them! We're all human beings, and we suffer from the disease of hatred - the remedy for this is God's love.


So I propose that tomorrow be, "Go Hug A Liberal/Conservative Day!" Seriously though, DON'T hug them. They might think you're a little creepy. But if it's a relative, then by all means!


Now if you'll excuse me, I have to *ahem* find a relative to hug!


"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God." - 1 John 4:7



For the Gospel!

No comments: