Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!

I just love this holiday. The wearin' o' the green, learning more about Ireland, and just celebrating our Irish heritage in general! Unfortunately, I probably won't be at the nearest Irish restaurant tonight, but I have found some great Irish sayings in honor of this fun holiday (coming up in the next post).

Even though it's fun to dress up in green, speak with an Irish accent, and try out corned beef and cabbage, St. Patrick's Day is not just about celebrating Ireland in general. We can be inspired by Patrick's yearning to share the Gospel with the lost people of Ireland. Even though he had been held captive there by pirates and had the chance to stay in England once he was free, Patrick chose to go back and reach out to his enemies because of the pure love of Christ that was in him. Due to his and others' efforts, Ireland became a Christian nation, and helped to send other missionaries around the world to preach the Gospel. Isn't that fantastic?

We should take our cue from Patrick and be brave to share the Gospel with others and live out a Christ-like life, showing the love of God to others. Can I get an Amen?

Here is Patrick's "breastplate," which shows how passionate this man was for God and how passionate we should be for Christ:

"Christ ever with me,

Christ before me,

Christ behind me,

Christ within me,

Christ beneath me,

Christ above me,

Christ to my right side,

Christ to my left side,

Christ in his breadth,

Christ in his length,

Christ in depth,

Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,

Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks to me,

Christ in every eye that sees me,

Christ in every ear that hears me."






Do cum gloire Dé agus onora na hEireann!
For the Glory of God and Honor of Ireland!

No comments: